I’m ashamed to admit that I haven’t blogged for a while. Well, for several months actually. Since Christmas in fact. Shocking!
That’s not to say that I haven’t been sewing. Far from it! I’ve been working on plenty of projects – and some of them I’ve even finished! I’ve made some pretty skirts for everyday wear, a glorious dress for a friend’s wedding, I’ve paper-pieced some cushions for Mum, and even finished off the odd quilt top too while I was at it. But to be honest, I’ve not been feeling 100% recently. What with one thing and another, my energy levels have plummeted and I’ve been left feeling like I’ve been put through the wringer. And while I’ve been feeling so wiped-out, I’ve just not felt inspired to sit down and write about what I’ve been working on.
But hopefully all this is about to change! RR and I have just got back from a wonderful relaxing holiday in Georgia, the sun is out, it looks like spring is finally on its way and I feel like starting new projects again for the first time in ages. And I want to tell the world about all my fantastic finishes and recent creations!
In short, I think I’ve got my blogging mojo back 🙂
I’m pretty sure that this was in no small part due to a fantastic Fusing Workshop I attended last week, with the lovely ladies at my quilt guild, Patchwork du Léman. It was the day after we got back from the US, and I’d only managed a couple of hours sleep so I was feeling pretty jet lagged. Dragging myself out of bed and off to Blonay for the day took all the motivation I could muster. But I’m so very glad I did!
Truth be told, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect, given that the supply list instructed me to bring a variety of batiks, rotary cutter and mat, fusible web and a travel iron, with no mention at all of a sewing machine. But seeing as the workshop was led by the ever-wonderful Ms M, who constantly inspires me with her glorious creations, I was pretty confident that I would have a great time and learn something new and fun into the bargain.
And how right I turned out to be!
We started off by ironing the fusible web to the wrong side of a selection of co-ordinating batiks, then peeled off the backing paper, onto which we drew a 9″ square. We then drew a series of lines inside this square, starting with the corners and working in one direction towards the centre in an inward spiral, to create the template for a 9″ crazy patch.
Then, starting with the centre block, and working in an outwards spiral, we cut shapes from our pre-fused batiks to cover each numbered segment in turn, leaving a small 1/8″ overlap on each side, and fusing our pieces on top of the pre-marked backing paper as we went.
This fusing-as-you-go technique meant that each new piece we put down adhered to the previous pieces, with no need for sewing to secure them.
I really enjoyed this technique, and I actually ended up making 2 crazy patch blocks…
That’s as far as I got with them, but the next step would be to remove the finished piece from the backing paper, fuse the whole thing to some batting, add some backing fabric and use your machine’s decorative stitches (or hand embroidery) to secure the raw edges (thus quilting the block at the same time). Bind it and you’re done! These are destined to be a pair of pot holders for Mum, once I get them finished.
We then moved onto the concept of using the same technique to create pictorial blocks. Now I’m not at all artistic (as RR says, even the cats could do better than me…), and I don’t really do fiddly stuff, so I opted for simple. Very simple. Not too sure about this one (looks a little too much like a toddler’s creation with fuzzy felt for my liking), but I can see how this idea could be used to great effect by people more skilled than me.
Finally we tried our hands at a free-form, improv kind of design. What I really liked about this was how easily you can incorporate curves and other interesting shapes into a piece without actually having to faff around sewing them (always a bonus!), as well as providing a great way of using up all those little scraps that are just too pretty to throw away. I’ve never really done much improv piecing before, but I enjoyed this process, and although I now have no idea what to do with it, I created this…
… and this with all my little leftovers (which will be made into a card for the club)…
All in all, I had an absolute blast, learnt a fun new technique, and came back home exhausted but fired up to create something new. Ideas are now brewing, so hopefully I’ll have something to share with you very soon 🙂
Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday – hop on over and check out some more quilty loveliness!